The UK General Election of May 7th 2015
And click here for the UK General Election of June 8th 2017
I have asterisked the links which I have found most useful but you may prefer some of the others!
Click here for Radio 4 Analysis ; How Voters Decide Parts One and Part Two Feb 20th and 27th 2017 . A must listen!! ***
Click here for very useful information from Brit Politics website
Click here for BBC Summary of SNP Manifesto
Click here for BBC Summary of PC Manifesto
The UK General Election of 2015: Gresham College lecture by Professor Vernon Bogdanor. New link added January 2017
The Official Labour Party Report has also attracted considerable media comment. Here are four useful sources but you can easily find more.
The UK General Election 2015: The Results
- Click here for BBC data on the UK result and the results in England, Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland
- Click here for a House of Commons parliamentary Brief with detailed results data
- Click here and follow links for Ipsos Mori data on How Britain Voted in 2015 and in all General Elections since 1974: voting and age, ethnicity, gender, social class etc ***
- Click here for You Gov Publication: How Britain voted in 2015: voting and age, ethnicity, gender, social class etc ***
- Click here for another You Gov Publication: contains graphics on demographics. ***
- Click here for BES data on class and voting behaviour [using a different class schema
- Click here for Parliamentary Research Briefing : General Election 2015
- Click here for Electoral Reform Society publication on the 2015 General Election and the case for electoral reform.
- Click here for BBC coverage of the above report.
- Click here for Andrew Rawnsley Observer article on the 2015 General Election and the electoral system
- Click here and here and here for information on Ethnicity and voting behaviour in 2015 from the Runnymede Trust. [3 Part article]
Summary Data on recent UK General Elections
Percentages of UK Votes Cast and Commons Seats Gained 1997-2015 [2015 N Ireland results can be found via in the above mentioned BBC link]
|Vote % 1997||Seat % 1997||Vote % 2001||Seat % 2001||Vote% 2005||Seat % 2005||Vote % 2010||Seat % 2010||Vote%
|Seat % 2015||Seat No 2015||Seat Change 2010-2015|
Explaining the Result
1 Labour's Poor performance
Click here for "Learning the right lessons from Labour's 2015 defeat " by Jane Green and Chris Prosser who are members of the British Election Study Team.
Click here for a brief BBC summary of the above report
Click here for very detailed analysis from Renewal: A Journal of Social Democracy
Click here for Independent Summary of above report
Ed Miliband's Leadership
Ipsos Mori publishes a monthly Political Monitor which among other things tracks trends in the relative popularity of the party leaders. Click here and scroll down to charts for the April 2015 Political Monitor and look at charts 7-20 to see the relative popularity of the party leaders.
Ipsos Mori also publishes data tracking the Best Party on Key Issues. Click here for April data on key political issues. Note that The Conservatives were perceived as having greater economic competence than Labour although Labour were ahead of the Conservatives on several other key political issues.
Trends in Party Identification
Ipsos Mori publish data tracking long term trends in party identification. Click here for these data according to which more people identified with Labour than with the Conservatives by May 2014
The British Social Attitudes Survey often includes information on trends in party identification. The following data is taken from a recent BSA survey. What conclusions can be drawn from the data. Although not shown here it is important to try to analyse the relationships between the rise of UKIP and the SNP and the trends in party identification.
Trends in Strength of party Identification 1987-2015
|Strength of Party Identification|
|Not very strong||40||46||49||46||41||38|
Click here for You Gov Publication: How Britain voted in 2015: voting and age, ethnicity, gender, social class etc. Slide 3 has estimates of newspaper readership and voting behaviour
- UK Polling Report
- Click here and follow links for Ipsos Mori data on How Britain Voted in 2015 and in all General Elections since 1974 Click Here and Here for the most recently monthly Political Monitor and Issue Index respectively.
- Click here for long term trends in the relative importance of different political issues.
- Click here and scroll down for Ipsos Mori April 2015 Issues Index and Election Special. The latter has good information on Best Party on Key Issues at the time of 2015 General Election and previous General Elections. ****
- Click here and then follow the relevant links for YouGov data on long term and the most recent trends in voting intention
- Click here for Observer/Opinium Poll data
- Click here for Guardian/ICM opinion poll
- Click here for Guardian article on explanations for polls' inaccuracy January 2016
- LSE General Election2015
- Nottingham University : Ballots and Bullets
- Institute for Fiscal studies General Election Coverage
UKIP: and the Greens Some Useful Links
I have not considered the rise of UKIP and Green support in any of my documents on voting behaviour but here, at least are a few useful inks.
- Mapping UKIP's Polling Strength [BBC]
- UKIP: the Story of the rise of UKIP [BBC]
- Guardian coverage of UKIP [1500+ articles]
- Click here and then follow the relevant links for YouGov data on long term trends in voting intention and check the latest poll to see composition of UKIP and Green support by age, class, gender, region, past voting record
- Click here for YouGov data on trends in Green support: they have recently overtaken the Liberal Democrats in the polls.
- Click here for YouGov data on the social composition of Green and UKIP support
- Click here for BBC coverage and here for Guardian coverage of Rochester and Strood By-election and here for resignation of Emily Thornberry from Labour Shadow Cabinet.
- Click here for article on UKIP by Professor John Curtice .[From the British Social Attitudes Survey] January 2016
- Click Here for Guardian Article on UKIP and the Stoke Central By-election February 2016
- Click here for an article on UKIP from the BBC October 2020
- Click here for BBC coverage of Stoke Central By-election February 2016